Friday, February 19, 2010

Olivia Williams: The Butterfly

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun's tears would sing against a white stone...

 Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly way up high.
It went away I'm sure because it wishes to
kiss the world good-bye

For seven weeks I've lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here,
in the ghetto.

4/6/1942  
Pavel Friedmann
This is a poem I liked from I Never Saw Another Butterfly.
This is a collection of poems written by children during the Holocaust.


2 comments:

  1. Olivia,

    O my gosh. such a sad poem. yet, hopeful. I don't think it's an accident that the butterfly and the imagry is yellow. I'll think about this poem for awhile; thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete